Pine Croft Farm, 102 Mead Street

Earl Smith and Kathryn Louise Cummings Smith, c. 1928

Pinecroft 20.JPG

The house was designed by Earl Smith and architect, Carina Mortimer, in the Colonial Revival style based on a design of a Maine farmhouse, and was finished the same year that Earl and Kathryn were married.  They had three children, who all grew up in Waccabuc (one still resides in the hamlet) and attended the one-room schoolhouse.  Kathryn's colorful flower gardens and the view across the pastures to the west were the highlight of a visit to the house.  Those views are still there, in part because of the creation of Pinecroft Preserve, through the Westchester Land Trust.

Earl Smith, a grandson of George and Sarah Frances Studwell Mead, installed a small herd of dairy cows in the barns at the Croft, which had belonged to his uncle, George W. Mead, Jr.

Later he added laying hens and two pigs.  He delivered fresh milk and eggs in a Ford pickup truck to customers in South Salem, Cross River and Waccabuc.  The dairy business continued until 1962.  The corn and hay fields were part of the Mead lands.

Earl Smith, 1920

Earl Smith, 1920

Kathryn Smith’s flower garden

Kathryn Smith’s flower garden

He was also the manager of all the Mead properties including woodlots producing cordwood for the neighborhood fireplaces, and all the Waccabuc Country Club property after it was acquired by the Mead family.  Having graduated from Yale and Yale Forestry School, he was well prepared for this occupation.

The cornfields along Post Office Road and the cows in the pastures next to the golf course were a cherished sight through the 1950s.  The dairy herd was sold in 1962 and replaced by black Angus heifers belonging to a neighbor in North Salem.

A vegetable garden and Kathryn’s perennial gardens flourished and were much admired by their many friends of all ages.

Both Kathryn and Earl were active in the community, he as president of the Katonah-Lewisboro School District, and the Waccabuc Country Club and a member for fifty years.

Kathryn Smith lived in the house until her death at 93 in 2000.

            2008

            2008

Christopher Smith, c. 1946, tapping a maple tree on Mead Street for syrup.  The Studwell House is in the background.

Christopher Smith, c. 1946, tapping a maple tree on Mead Street for syrup.  The Studwell House is in the background.

2012, after an expansion

2012, after an expansion

2008, a view of the farm, taken from Pinecroft Preserve

2008, a view of the farm, taken from Pinecroft Preserve

2013, outbuilding on the property

2013, outbuilding on the property