The Studwell House, 107 Mead Street
c. 1840, Elbert A. and Mary Mead
Enoch Mead’s grandson was Jacob Gilbert Mead. Elbert was Jacob’s son.
Frederick Studwell (a Waccabuc Country Club founder) also owned this home.
Elbert Mead was a cousin of George W. Mead and married Mary Studwell, who was a cousin of Sarah Studwell Mead (George’s wife). The Italianate style house is a twin of a house on the North Salem Road. This style was prominent in the 1840s.
There is a large barn behind the house.
A Studwell descendant lived in the house until it was bought by the Mead Family in 1928.
In the publication A History of the Town of Lewisboro (2nd Edition published 1994 by the South Salem Library Association, 1st Edition 1981), the following is recorded:
To the north near the corner where the post office now stands, Joseph Benedict had an extensive land holding along the south shore of Long Pond (Lake Waccabuc). He had built a log house we suppose is similar to that of Enoch, again beside a fine spring. He cannot have lived there too long, for he is recorded as having married three times and parented twenty-three children. One of the daughters of his third marriage was Nancy.
In the summer of 1780 David Williams worked for Joseph Benedict on his farm at Long Pond. “On the afternoon of September 22nd he was talking with Nancy at the door of her home when a group of young men, including his cousin Issac Van Wart, came down from Yerkes’ Tavern. An expedition to Tarrytown had been proposed, and David Williams willingly joined. According to one tradition his particular motive was to avenge the death of his Friend, Pelham, who had been killed by cowboys the night before. The rest of the story is familiar. The party reached Tarrytown the next day; and an hour later they had stopped Andre…” (quoted from Theodore Van Norden’s South Salem Soldiers and Sailors). The captors were liberally compensated for their prize, and in addition Nancy became David’s wife in 1782. He bought from his father-in-law 140 acres of land, and according to Mr. Van Norden, their only son was born in the log house on Mead Street. Later the family moved to western New York State.
(see Gilbert House, for related entry)
EXPLORE THE OTHER PROPERTIES
1. Mead Cemetery, 2. The Gaard House, 33 Mead Street, 3. The Hunt Homes, 20 & 24 Mead Street, 4. The Homestead, 36 Mead Street, 5. The Cider Mill, 8 Schoolhouse Road, 6. Schoolhouses on Schoolhouse Road, 7. Old Field Preserve, 8. Elmdon, 49 Mead Street, 9. The Gilbert House, 68 Mead Street, 10. Waccabuc Country Club, 90 Mead Street , 11. The Waccabuc Post Office, 2 Post Office Road, 12. The Orchard House, 12 Post Office Road, 13. The Studwell House, 107 Mead Street, 14. Pinecroft Preserve, 15. Pine Croft Farm, 102 Mead Street, 16. Croft Farm, 106 Mead Street, 17. Tarry-A-Bit, 8 Tarry-a-Bit Road, 18. The Bungalow Club, 19. Long Pond Preserve, 20. The Waccabuc Hotel, 21. Fair Acre, 4 Chapel Road, 22. Lakeview, 14 Chapel Road, 23. Jared Mead House, 55 Chapel Road, 24. Mead Memorial Chapel, 2 Chapel Road, 25. Hendy Hap, 152 Mead Street, 26. Tredinock, 163 Mead Street, 27. Meeko, 166 Mead Street, 28. The Cahoone House, 181 Mead Street, 29. Lake Waccabuc, 30. Franklin markers