Tredinock, 163 Mead Street
c. 1917, Frances Studwell Mead
“The choicest property which Frances well deserved” was conveyed to her by her mother, Sarah, and she built a Tudor style country house with a magnificent view down Lake Waccabuc to the Connecticut hills.
Frances (originally named Fannie until she had her name legally changed) was the oldest of the eleven children of George and Sarah Frances Mead. She never married but had an active social life in Brooklyn after graduating from Packer Collegiate Institute. After her grandfather, John J. Studwell died in 1884, she lived with her grandmother at 24 Monroe Place, Brooklyn – next door to her family’s house at 26.
She taught Sunday School to a class of boys at the City Park Chapel, a branch of the First Presbyterian Church, and worked at the Union Settlement.
An enthusiastic traveler, she accompanied her mother and sister to California in the winter of 1893 to visit the Hutchinson family, “the Californian cousins.”
The following year she joined her parents, three sisters and two brothers on a “memorable trip to Alaska” via Montreal on the Canadian Pacific Railroad to Vancouver where they boarded the steamer, the S.S. Queen and visited Sitka, Juneau and Taku glacier, and saw the midnight sun. They returned through Washington State and spent a week in Yellowstone Park “driving through the park in a carryall.” Then it was on to Pikes Peak, Denver and Salt Lake City before returning home.
She traveled to Europe and visited friends in Maine where she contracted typhoid fever and nearly died.
She was Director of the Northern Westchester Visiting Nurse Association, chairman of the Lewisboro chapter of the American Red Cross and a founder of the York Club in New York.
The Mead Memorial Chapel was of great interest and she secured the distinguished ministers who preached there for summer vespers.
In Waccabuc her house was well staffed for summer lunches and teas on the porch, where the book group met frequently.
Frances outlived several of her younger siblings, and died in 1937 at the age of 77.
EXPLORE THE OTHER PROPERTIES
1. Mead Cemetery, 2. The Gaard House, 33 Mead Street, 3. The Hunt Homes, 20 & 24 Mead Street, 4. The Homestead, 36 Mead Street, 5. The Cider Mill, 8 Schoolhouse Road, 6. Schoolhouses on Schoolhouse Road, 7. Old Field Preserve, 8. Elmdon, 49 Mead Street, 9. The Gilbert House, 68 Mead Street, 10. Waccabuc Country Club, 90 Mead Street , 11. The Waccabuc Post Office, 2 Post Office Road, 12. The Orchard House, 12 Post Office Road, 13. The Studwell House, 107 Mead Street, 14. Pinecroft Preserve, 15. Pine Croft Farm, 102 Mead Street, 16. Croft Farm, 106 Mead Street, 17. Tarry-A-Bit, 8 Tarry-a-Bit Road, 18. The Bungalow Club, 19. Long Pond Preserve, 20. The Waccabuc Hotel, 21. Fair Acre, 4 Chapel Road, 22. Lakeview, 14 Chapel Road, 23. Jared Mead House, 55 Chapel Road, 24. Mead Memorial Chapel, 2 Chapel Road, 25. Hendy Hap, 152 Mead Street, 26. Tredinock, 163 Mead Street, 27. Meeko, 166 Mead Street, 28. The Cahoone House, 181 Mead Street, 29. Lake Waccabuc, 30. Franklin markers