The Cahoone House, 181 Mead Street
Elizabeth Brundage Mead and Richards M. Cahoone, c. 1919
(only boathouse remains)
Located on hillside between 163-197 Mead Street, the original house of 2,200 square feet is no longer recognizable; through renovations and expansion, a newer home of 10,000 square feet now occupies its footprint.
Over its history, the house has had a total of three owners; the Mead family sold it in 1940 to the composer Elliot Carter and his wife, Helen, who lived there for 50 years. The current owner has lived there for the past 25 years, although it was listed for sale in 2016.
The current property also has an Adirondack style boat house, which had been known as the Hen’s Roost in the Cahoone’s day.
In the publication A History of the Town of Lewisboro (2nd Edition published 1994 by the South Salem Library Association, 1st Edition 1981), the following is recorded:
Just west of Castle Rock is Bill Utter’s Rock. Farther to the west, about halfway between Bill Utter’s Rock and the western end of the lake, was a small building known among the Meads as “Auntie Deb’s Boathouse.” Auntie Deb was Elizabeth Brundage Mead, the third of George and Sarah Mead’s twelve children. She was born in 1862 and built the boathouse on the south side of the lake sometime around 1895. She later married Richards M. Cahoone who purchased land on the north shore of the lake, and sometime thereafter (about 1920), she moved the boathouse across the lake to her husband’s property. This was accomplished by placing the house on skids and dragging it across the ice in mid-winter with a team of horses.
In addition to Auntie Deb’s Boathouse being dragged over the ice, another building underwent the same fate: a small cabin originally built a short distance to the east of Castle Rock during the 1800s, near the Cahoone property. The Meads acquired this land around the turn of the century and kept the cabin as a sort of clubhouse for the Mead girls, hence its name the “Hen’s Roost.” Later it was used for family parties and picnics and eventually became known simply as “the Roost”. At some time around 1940, it was moved to the west end of the lake, and then a number of years later, it was moved to its present location alongside the Waccabuc Country Club beach house.
EXPLORE THE OTHER PROPERTIES
1. Mead Cemetery, 2. The Gaard House, 33 Mead Street, 3. The Hunt Homes, 20 & 24 Mead Street, 4. The Homestead, 36 Mead Street, 5. The Cider Mill, 8 Schoolhouse Road, 6. Schoolhouses on Schoolhouse Road, 7. Old Field Preserve, 8. Elmdon, 49 Mead Street, 9. The Gilbert House, 68 Mead Street, 10. Waccabuc Country Club, 90 Mead Street , 11. The Waccabuc Post Office, 2 Post Office Road, 12. The Orchard House, 12 Post Office Road, 13. The Studwell House, 107 Mead Street, 14. Pinecroft Preserve, 15. Pine Croft Farm, 102 Mead Street, 16. Croft Farm, 106 Mead Street, 17. Tarry-A-Bit, 8 Tarry-a-Bit Road, 18. The Bungalow Club, 19. Long Pond Preserve, 20. The Waccabuc Hotel, 21. Fair Acre, 4 Chapel Road, 22. Lakeview, 14 Chapel Road, 23. Jared Mead House, 55 Chapel Road, 24. Mead Memorial Chapel, 2 Chapel Road, 25. Hendy Hap, 152 Mead Street, 26. Tredinock, 163 Mead Street, 27. Meeko, 166 Mead Street, 28. The Cahoone House, 181 Mead Street, 29. Lake Waccabuc, 30. Franklin markers