Jared Mead House, 55 Chapel Road

Jared and Martin Mead (brothers)
A double house, c. early 1800s

F.W. Beers map, c. 1867

F.W. Beers map, c. 1867

2016

2016

From the site of the Waccabuc House, the road from Long Pond starts west towards Goldens Bridge.  This road must have been in the pre-history days an Indian path, for it is frequently mentioned in the earliest indentures of the proprietors of the Van Cortlandt Manor lands.  The road winds along in woods between large boulders and a rocky ravine, past swampland and down a steep hill, more suitable indeed for the Indian than today’s traffic (the road was dirt until 2011, when the road was finally paved by the Town).

At the foot of the hill is an old house notable for the fact that it is a double house.  Two front doors, side by side, two chimneys, and so on.  It was built by brothers, Jared and Martin Mead, still another branch of the early Meads (Rev. Solomon Mead of South Salem).  Across the road stood a horse barn, and on a hill behind the house was a large cattle and hay barn.  Jared was born in 1787 and Martin in 1789; Jared survived his brother by twenty years and at his death owned 250 acres.  They were the sons of Libbeus Mead and Hannah Benedict who had built and lived across the road and down a piece, farther west (going towards Goldens Bridge).  This place was later known as the town farm (map of 1867).  It was situated on the then corner of the road from Cross River to Upper Salem (Rt. 121), a few hundred feet easterly from the present road.

2011

2011

Cottage adjacent to the house

Cottage adjacent to the house