The Gilbert House, 68 Mead Street
Jacob Gilbert and Sally Ann Todd Mead, c. early 1830s
In 1798 Solomon Mead (older son of Enoch and Jemima Mead) married Eunice Gilbert. Of their eight children, their eldest son, Jacob Gilbert Mead, married in 1831 Sally Ann Todd, and they built the house that stands on the west side of Mead Street, a few hundred feet north of Elmdon.
Gilbert, as he was known, in addition to land given to him by his father, bought in 1842 a nine acre woodlot on Long Pond Mountain. In 1846 he received three parcels equaling 200 acres more or less, being land devised to Gilbert’s wife, Sally Ann, by her father, Ira Todd. In 1850 he bought from his father one hundred acres west of Mead Street, known recently as the Croft Farm, together with two pieces of woodland, one on the mountain and one on the northeast side of the highway from Long Pond to Goldens Bridge (i.e. Chapel Road), the two equaling more than twenty acres. Gilbert deeded some of these lands to his son Elbert who built the big square house that stands near the site of the log house of Joseph Benedict (the Studwell House, at the northeast corner of Mead Street and Post Office Road).
Elbert, and his widow in turn, left the house and approximately fifty acres to her nephew, Frederick Studwell, who continued to live there for many years and was one of the founders of the Waccabuc County Club.
Yerkes (also Yerks) Tavern was located in North Salem, at the intersection of Yerkes Road and Bogtown Road. Only part of the foundation remains there. Its proprietor was John Yerkes who received a license from the town to operate a tavern or inn for the accommodation and entertainment of travelers in 1815. Earlier records indicate the property was owned by the Smith family prior to that date. Major Andre was a British Army officer hanged as a spy in 1780 for assisting Benedict Arnold attempted surrender of the fort at West Point to the British. He was held captive in the Gilbert House in South Salem (a stone marks the location on Main Street in South Salem: “Behind this wall stood the house of Jacob Gilbert in which Major John Andre was held prisoner September 24 and 25 1780. In this house he wrote to Washington”). Andre was marched over the Post Road (Mead St), west of Lake Waccabuc, and down to Washington’s headquarters.
EXPLORE THE OTHER PROPERTIES
1. Mead Cemetery, 2. The Gaard House, 33 Mead Street, 3. The Hunt Homes, 20 & 24 Mead Street, 4. The Homestead, 36 Mead Street, 5. The Cider Mill, 8 Schoolhouse Road, 6. Schoolhouses on Schoolhouse Road, 7. Old Field Preserve, 8. Elmdon, 49 Mead Street, 9. The Gilbert House, 68 Mead Street, 10. Waccabuc Country Club, 90 Mead Street , 11. The Waccabuc Post Office, 2 Post Office Road, 12. The Orchard House, 12 Post Office Road, 13. The Studwell House, 107 Mead Street, 14. Pinecroft Preserve, 15. Pine Croft Farm, 102 Mead Street, 16. Croft Farm, 106 Mead Street, 17. Tarry-A-Bit, 8 Tarry-a-Bit Road, 18. The Bungalow Club, 19. Long Pond Preserve, 20. The Waccabuc Hotel, 21. Fair Acre, 4 Chapel Road, 22. Lakeview, 14 Chapel Road, 23. Jared Mead House, 55 Chapel Road, 24. Mead Memorial Chapel, 2 Chapel Road, 25. Hendy Hap, 152 Mead Street, 26. Tredinock, 163 Mead Street, 27. Meeko, 166 Mead Street, 28. The Cahoone House, 181 Mead Street, 29. Lake Waccabuc, 30. Franklin markers