The Hunt Homes, 20 & 24 Mead Street
20 Mead Street
Daniel and Hannah Hunt (# I), c. 1806
Daniel and Jane Amanda Howe Hunt (#2), c. 1851
24 Mead Street
Frank and Annis Mead Hunt, C. 1892
Jane Howe is related to Rev. Solomon Mead, the first pastor of the Presbyterian Church of South Salem, c. 1750. There were the first Mead line to come from Kent, England.
In the publication A History of the Town of Lewisboro (2nd Edition published 1994 by the South Salem Library Association, 1st Edition 1981), the following is recorded:
North of the cemetery on the west side of the road stands the imposing home built about 1806 by Daniel Hunt. He came to Mead Street from upper Salem, bought several pieces of farmland already cleared (one can tell from the price of the transaction) and he and his wife Hannah raised their family here.
His son Daniel, fifth and youngest child, was born in 1818 and served for many years as the supervisor of the township. He married in 1851 Jane Amanda Howe, daughter of Jeremiah Howe, Hunt’s nearest neighbor to the east. They had two daughters and a son; Miss Carrie and Miss Louise lived out their days in that house and were beloved and honored all their days. Their brother Frank married Annis Mead, daughter of William M. Mead of Oberlin, Ohio, in 1893 and built the large Victorian style house standing next door to his father’s. It had water in it furnished by a well and pumped by a windmill. Their daughter, Constance, was born in the house in 1894 and lived there until 1975 before moving to an adult home in Brewster. Annis Hunt and her daughter, Constance, both graduated from Oberlin College. Frank, Annis and Constance are all buried in the Mead Family cemetery.
And regarding the development of the present Hunt Farm:
Did you know that if you regularly drove along Route 35 in 1980, you would occasionally have to stop just west of the Mead Street entrance to allow a small herd of dairy cows to cross the road? These cows were either crossing to the Town Park to graze or returning to their barn at the Adams Farm.
The Adams Farm was the last dairy farm in Westchester County. Around 1979, the Adams Farm and the smaller adjacent Hunt Farm were sold to a group of local residents headed by real estate developer J. William Fenton for $450,000. Today the land of the combined farm properties (86 acres) is the neighborhood known as Hunt Farm.
Bill Fenton extended the concept of a homeowner-association community to what is basically a single-family subdivision of 42 homes designed as Williamsburg Colonials, Cape Cod saltboxes and 19th-century farmhouses. At that time the concept was in limited use in Westchester County. Hunt Farms was a successful venture as the price points of the homes were very attractive to young families. The homes, on half-acre lots, surround an open communal “green” of 61 acres and 100 year old stone walls. In addition, the Town of Lewisboro owns 100 adjoining acres that have been designated as a wildlife preserve and may not be used for development.
EXPLORE THE OTHER PROPERTIES
1. Mead Cemetery, 2. The Gaard House, 33 Mead Street, 3. The Hunt Homes, 20 & 24 Mead Street, 4. The Homestead, 36 Mead Street, 5. The Cider Mill, 8 Schoolhouse Road, 6. Schoolhouses on Schoolhouse Road, 7. Old Field Preserve, 8. Elmdon, 49 Mead Street, 9. The Gilbert House, 68 Mead Street, 10. Waccabuc Country Club, 90 Mead Street , 11. The Waccabuc Post Office, 2 Post Office Road, 12. The Orchard House, 12 Post Office Road, 13. The Studwell House, 107 Mead Street, 14. Pinecroft Preserve, 15. Pine Croft Farm, 102 Mead Street, 16. Croft Farm, 106 Mead Street, 17. Tarry-A-Bit, 8 Tarry-a-Bit Road, 18. The Bungalow Club, 19. Long Pond Preserve, 20. The Waccabuc Hotel, 21. Fair Acre, 4 Chapel Road, 22. Lakeview, 14 Chapel Road, 23. Jared Mead House, 55 Chapel Road, 24. Mead Memorial Chapel, 2 Chapel Road, 25. Hendy Hap, 152 Mead Street, 26. Tredinock, 163 Mead Street, 27. Meeko, 166 Mead Street, 28. The Cahoone House, 181 Mead Street, 29. Lake Waccabuc, 30. Franklin markers