Long Pond Preserve

owned by Three Lakes Council

2013

2013

Ice house remains in the woods

Ice house remains in the woods

The Long Pond Preserve was originally created by the Studwell Foundation (representing the Mead family, which owned the property from 1650 to 1970) and a group of local residents who had purchased 39 acres at the western end of Lake Waccabuc for the purpose of protecting the lakeside from development.  They donated this preserve to The Nature Conservancy in 1970. Three Lakes Council acquired the property on December 10, 2015.

The trail can be accessed from Mead Street by crossing the wet meadow and walking south along the lake where a well-marked trail affords close observation of the lake shore and views to Castle Rock.  It includes several small bridges built where the trail crosses small streams and wet areas as the path nears the lake. Also evident is some old iron machinery near the loop portion of the trail — remnants of a 19th-Century ice house previously active on the property. A boathouse and a water pumping station once occupied portions of the preserve, but there is little evidence of those structures today.

A hemlock forest indicates the boundary of the preserve.  The trail is approximately one half mile.  Note:  Tarry-A-Bit Road is a private road, bordering the Preserve.

Ice house remains in the woods

Ice house remains in the woods

Ice house remains in the woods

Ice house remains in the woods

Remains of water pumping station

Remains of water pumping station

Butterfly meadow

Butterfly meadow