Mead Family Cemetery

 
IMG_2985.JPG
 

Waccabuc was first settled c. 1776 when Enoch Mead (b. 9 April 1756, d. 10 Sept 1807), newly married in Greenwich, CT to Jemima Mead (a cousin; b. 12 Aug 1756, d. 4 Apr 1837), were returning from their honeymoon tour to Massachusetts.  Their horse went lame (some stories say died) near Long Pond (now Lake Waccabuc).  They decided to settle nearby on the New York and Albany Post Road and built their first home, a log cabin.  Enoch already had family ties in the area: one uncle - the Rev. Solomon Mead, pastor of the South Salem Presbyterian Church since 1752, as well as two other uncles, Jared and Deliverance Mead, who lived on a farm near Lake Waccabuc since 1771.  Enoch’s tombstone can be found in the Mead family cemetery. The earliest gravestone is that of Sally Mead, daughter of Enoch and Jemima Mead.

In the publication A History of the Town of Lewisboro (2nd Edition published 1994 by the South Salem Library Association, 1st Edition 1981), the following is recorded:

“On the west side of the road as one comes up the hill is a cemetery where the oldest stone is dated 1794.  It is that of the second child of Enoch and Jemima Mead, Sally, who died at the age of fourteen. Many since then, neighbors, relatives, have been buried there.  They were chiefly Meads or those related to them, but other names are Lawrence, Hunt, Rockwell, Todd, Holmes, Braden, Adams and McCaull.  The cemetery has never been incorporated, but the maintenance of the grounds has been the responsibility and interest of the Mead Memorial Chapel.”

The headstone of George Washington Mead and Sarah Frances Studwell

 

A large stone in the back perimeter wall of the cemetery serves as a headstone for Martin R. Mead, his wife Marie Adelain Andrews and their son, Martin Rockwell Mead, Jr.