Old Field Preserve

Owned jointly by the Town of Lewisboro and Westchester County, with a conservation easement held by New York State.

Entrance on Mead Street, across from Schoolhouse Road.

2014

2014

The Old Field parcel was originally part of Van Cortlandt Manor, an 86,000-acre tract that ran from the Hudson River to Connecticut. The area was settled in 1776 by Enoch Mead, whose descendants farmed the land until 1974 when it was sold. From 1974-2003, the 100-acre parcel was enjoyed by riders, walkers, cross-country skiers and hunters. In 2003, the town, county, and state bought the parcel with extensive financial assistance from local residents. Over 100 species of wildlife have been observed on the preserve, and it provides increasingly rare old field/meadow habitat for field-dependent species. The Old Field Preserve derives its name from the five fields, at various stages of succession, which it compasses.  As forests mature in Westchester and meadows are converted to lawns and building lots, field habitats — and the species that rely on them — are becoming rare. Those species include field sparrow, prairie warbler, indigo bunting, among many others. The trail in the Preserve is about 2.5 miles.

In 2017, the Alfred DelBello meditation garden was created by the Lewisboro Land Trust within the Preserve. It contains native and deer-resistant plantings, paths and seating.

Originally Martin Mead’s Lower Farm, these 110 acres were established in July 2003 by a coalition that included the Westchester Land Trust, the residents of Lewisboro, the Wolf Conservation Center, New York State, Westchester County and the Town of Lewisboro.   

2014

2014