The Bungalow Club

c. 1895

This split log cabin with a huge stone fireplace was built by the five Mead brothers (sons of Sara Frances and George W. Mead).  It became a center for Waccabuc activities.  Its icebox was always stocked with whiskey, beer, cocktails –free for family members and friends.  Their mother, Sara Frances, was an advocate of total abstinence and did not allow any alcohol in the house at Tarry-A-Bit.  An Annual Dinner was held each September, with the entire family attending for food such as steaks on a grille.  Wives of the family members would make other foods such as potatoes au gratin, salad, apple pie.  Corn was cooked in a big iron pot over the open fire; a keg of ale stood in the corner.  After the meal came songs and unexpurgated stories.  Then poker and cigar smoking.  With the development of the WCC, the Bungalow Club gradually faded away.  It lasted from 1905 to 1937, at which point it was only used occasionally.

The Club was torn down in the 1980s; only the chimney is still visible, just past 10 Tarry-A-Bit Road.

2014 – the remains of the chimney

2014 – the remains of the chimney

Lamp post base

Lamp post base